Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
Sleeve Gastrectomy, a single procedure weight loss surgery option!
The gastric sleeve is a laparoscopic procedure where a vertical incision along the stomach is made, reducing the widest part of the stomach (leaving the stomach approximately 15-20% of its original size). The remaining portion of the stomach is shaped like a sleeve or tube with a banana shape.
The sleeve gastrectomy procedure diminishes a patient’s appetite and slows down his or her caloric intake making significant weight loss possible. This operation does not involve any "rerouting" or reconnecting of the intestines.
Benefits of the Sleeve Gastrectomy Weight Loss Surgery
- Reduced stomach volume increases feeling of fullness
- Does not require disconnecting or reconnecting of the intestines
- Stomach functions normally allowing most foods to be eaten, just in smaller amounts
- Stomach portion that produces hunger stimulating hormone (Gherlin) is removed
- No dumping syndrome due to pyloric portion of stomach is left intact
- No intestinal bypass and its associated risks
- Is performed laparoscopically
- Simpler procedure than the gastric bypass
- No foreign bodies used as a band surgery
While the single procedure sleeve is relatively new with no long term statistics, Dr. Vohra has been seeing rapid, dramatic weight loss results with this procedure. In fact, Dr. Vohra has performed more sleeve gastrectomies than any other surgeon throughout Long Island and Queens.
To attend a seminar or schedule an appointment, please call us at (516) 374-8631 or use our online appointment scheduler