Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
LAP-BAND® System Overview
The Lap-Band is considered the least traumatic of all weight loss surgeries since there is no cutting, stapling or stomach re-routing. Procedure induces weight loss by reducing the capacity of the stomach, which restricts the amount of food that can be consumed.
Minimally Invasive Approach
During the procedure, Dr. Vohra uses laparoscopic techniques to implant an inflatable silicone band into the patient’s abdomen. Like a wristwatch, the band is fastened around the upper stomach to create a new, tiny stomach pouch that limits and controls the amount of food you eat. It also creates a small outlet that slows the emptying process into the stomach and the intestines. As a result, patients experience an earlier sensation of fullness and are satisfied with smaller amounts of food. In turn, this results in weight loss.
The diameter of the band is adjustable for a customized weight-loss rate. Your individual needs can change as you lose weight. For example, pregnant patients can expand their band to accommodate a growing fetus, while patients who aren’t experiencing significant weight loss can have their bands tightened.
To modify the size of the band, its inner surface can be inflated or deflated with a saline solution. The band is connected by tubing to an access port, which is placed well below the skin during surgery. After the operation, the surgeon can control the amount of saline in the band by entering the port with a fine needle through the skin.
The LAP-BAND® System Advantage
- Least invasive surgical option
- No intestinal re-routing
- No cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel
- Reduced patient pain, hospital length-of-stay and recovery period
Fewer Risks and Side Effects
- Significantly lower mortality risk than other obesity surgery procedures
- Low risk of nutritional deficiencies associated with gastric bypass
- Reduced risk of hair loss
- No “dumping syndrome” related to dietary intake restrictions
- Allows individualized degree of restriction for ideal, long-term weight loss Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Supports pregnancy by allowing stomach outlet size to be opened for increased nutritional needs
- Removable at any time
- Stomach and other anatomy are generally restored to their original forms and functions
Effective Long-Term Weight Loss
- More than 100,000 cases performed worldwide
- Standard of care for hundreds of practices around the world
- Academic publications with up to 7 years of follow-up
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
- Revisional Surgery
- Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery